Friday, January 30, 2009

D

"Do you know many letters begin with the letter D? How important is this letter? And why are these questions jumping into my mind?".

He asked himself these questions as soon as he woke up, he had no instant answer, but as he started his morning rituals, things started to become clearer, and while sipping his morning coffee he began writing down his thoughts.

Dedication

"Dedicated to D. You know yourself".


Dream


"Dream. That's the most important D word, isn't it? At least it's the most important for me. I had two dreams last night. Two strange dreams not related to each other, that suddenly came out of the blue for no apparent reason. One of them was a happy dream. The other was ugly, you can call it a nightmare if you will".

Death

"The first dream can be called a nightmare. Yes, death was never a beautiful dream, whether you dream of your own death, or the death of someone close. The only time I feel happy about death dreams is when I meet my dead relatives and friends. This is the only place where I can see them, whenever we meet they are usually happy and smiling, even though I cry sometimes because I know it's a dream and they are dead, and I don't know when I will see them again".

Dave

He hasn't heard from Dave for a long time, maybe two years now. The last time he saw him, the man threw a bunch of his silk ties on the staircase, urging him and his cousins to take all of them while leaving. The last thing he heard about Dave was a few months ago, that he was very sick.

Drunk

"I can't remember the last time this man was sober. I always saw him drunk, and I didn't laugh like the others did, because I knew that he is not happy about the life he chose, but now it was too late to have another choice. It was a one way ticket".

Divorce

Failure to have a stable life leads to failure at work, and thus failure in social life, which leads to divorce. Two divorces, ending up alone at this age is nothing to be proud of. Dying alone is something to worry about.

Debt

No job, no life, too many expenses. Living on the edge. Hiding from debts. Many favors forgotten. Now people only remember how much he owes them. The intellectual man who could talk to you about art, literature, music, architecture, history, politics, and even fashion, but he could never have a stable job.


Disappearance

"It's expected from this man to disappear from time to time. I wouldn't blame him. Somehow he reminds me of many people I've met, including me. We all have our way to disappear when we need to. Some of us literally disappear, hiding from everyone they know, others disappear inside themselves, hiding their real personality, some wish to disappear but they are never able to".

Disease

Drinking, divorce, debt, disappearance, a lethal combination. The man is very sick now.

Dead body

"The first dream was a summary of all of the above. I knew in the dream that Dave is dead. He died alone as expected. I looked at his dead body covered all over with white bed sheets. I screamed to wake myself up. I kept screaming. And when I opened my eyes I found myself in a strange room, thousands of miles away from home, away from my cozy room".

Distance

After he woke up from the nightmare, he tried to sleep again. And when he closed his eyes, the second dream was beautiful. He missed that feeling of having a happy dream and waking up smiling, expecting a lovely day. He longed for that moment for months.

He was far away from everything and everyone he loved. Dreams were his escape, but he seldom had a happy dream.

Danielle

"She came out of nowhere, she just stood there smiling. I could clearly see her beautiful dark wide eyes that I loved, and her graceful figure I'd always longed to hold in my arms. She came closer, we held hands. I could feel my heart smiling. I said 'Why don't you marry me', and before she replied I woke up, smiling and remembering her smile, wondering if and when I will ever see her again. I wondered and hoped".

Document

And as he started his document with the same letter, so was the end. D.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice my friend, very nice!

And please ba2a, you are not at the risk of having spammer comments, please remove this word verification thing madf::