Monday, September 29, 2008

A darker shade of black


Not a very long time ago,
I used to know you Jack
And now I know you're back
Maybe older, maybe wiser but
With a darker shade of black

* * *

I'm Jack's sleepless nights
For no apparent reason
I'm Jack's endless fights
Between faithfulness and treason
I'm Jack's depressive words
That scare the girls away
Like useless chirping birds
In the dawn of a new day
I'm Jack's false high hopes
Of words written in vain
I'm everything he wrote
Causing nothing but pain
I'm Jack's tired eyes
Waiting for the tears of rain
And his stupid goodbyes
Before taking the train
I'm Jack's funny looks
And words that make you smile
Sitting between his books
Hidden behind a pile
I'm Jack's betraying heart
That never wants to learn
From the battles that start
And end in a bleeding burn
I'm Jack's few nightmares
And fewer happy dreams
And his long empty stares
At nothing as it seems
I'm Jack's eternal gaze
At the facts of hateful life
And his long walks in the maze
Explaining the word "strife"
I'm Jack's unborn child
That he will never see
Even though he's still convinced
That all is meant to be
I'm Jack's endless story
Of a heart with a broken man
With no blood and no glory
So forget me if you can

No comments: